Spring season marks the movement from winters to summers. The days become longer, temperatures are moderate, and there is more sunshine. Spring stands for rebirth. During spring, flowers bloom, birds and animals return to the fields, human beings’ productivity increases, and consequently, there is a spring in every step. People step out of their homes to witness nature’s elements in full swing, getting ready to welcome the summer season. People, in general, want to upgrade their homes to not miss out on any opportunity to enjoy and appreciate nature in full blossom. Windows and doors in a house are the contact points with the outside world, and it is natural to upgrade them to give a metropolitan yet practical look to homes. Roll-up curtains are perfect for someone who wants to be in the house and yet be in touch with the outside world.
What are roll up curtains?
Roll-up curtains have a neo-classical appeal. They are suitable for practically any room, and millions of people use roll-up curtains to filter out the sunlight, heat and dust particles from entering the rooms. These curtains come with a back lining and provide a striking contrast to the front when the user rolls them up. It requires effort to roll up these double-lined curtains, but it is worth it because of the ambience they provide to the house.
What are the advantages of the roll up curtains?
Roll up Curtains are Simple and elegant.
When nature outside is in its full glory in the spring season, the roll-up curtains can match the mood. They come in diverse shades and colors and can give the room the desired look and feel. They are simple to use yet elegant in demeanor.
Roll Up Curtains help control the sunlight:
Roll-up curtains help in regulating the sunlight entering the rooms. Depending upon the requirements, unique fabrics can be used for curtains to allow partial sunlight or completely block the sunlight.
Roll up Curtains Help Fight Seasonal Allergies:
With the spring season’s onset, flowers pollinate, giving rise to many allergic reactions in people. Roll-up curtains, when drawn, can help filter out the allergy-causing pollen to enter the house.
Making a roll up curtain is the perfect spring diy project
- It is easy to sew and requires straight lines and seams, along with two rectangular fabric pieces.
- To make it a successful DIY project, a person needs a tapeline, suitable curtain fabric, fabric for lining, curtain rod pole and hanging brackets, straight pins, sewing machine, scissors, tailor’s chalk, hand sewing needle and thread, Iron and 1” dowel rod-length. As fabrics are easy to roll, the user has to take special care to sew the curtain properly to fit it correctly.
- First of all, one has to set up brackets for the rod pole and fix the rod in them. Next, the user should find out the exact curtain width by measuring the distance between brackets, and then adding an extra inch.
- Measure the required length of the roll-up curtain from the rod and add an extra inch as well.
- Next up, the user has to cut the exact piece as per the measurements taken from the main curtain’s fabric and the lining. In addition to it, they should cut four inch wide fabric pieces for the roll-up curtain’s ties.
- Having cut the requisite fabric as per the measurement, the user should pick up the fabric piece for roll-up tie and fold it in half lengthwise. They should next sew a ¼’ seam allowance along the long-pinned side and one short end. The user should repeat it with the other three ties.
- Next, the user should place the fabric surface with the right side facing upwards. They should decide where the curtain ties should be, and the place should be marked accordingly.
- Next, pin the two raw edges of the ties to one mark. The other two ties’ remaining edges should be placed together and pinned to the mark along with it. The next stage is critical in which the user should set the curtain lining right side up on top of the curtain fabric. Edges should be matched and pinned.
- Next, a mark should be made at ½” from the top on the longer side, and the user should leave a margin of half an inch, and another mark should be put there. Further, one should put a dot at half an inch from the bottom on the same side and leave one and a half-inch margin again. The user should do the same procedure on the long side of the roll-up curtain.
- After this comes another critical step to preparing the roll-up curtain, one should sew the curtain down on one of the long sides, leaving ½” margin. One should then stitch a 1/2” length to the initial point, leave 1-1/2” to the following marking and continue sewing along the long edge.
- Next, a 4” opening should be left out for turning the middle of the long side. One should then sew till the first mark on the bottom of the long side. After leaving one and ½”, continue to sew till the end. The next one should sew across the bottom of the roll-up curtain and sew on the left side. One should then leave, one and a half inches mark and stitch until the next spot at the upper side.
- Next, another one and a half inches should be left out, and then the roll-up curtain should be sewed till the end. After reaching this stage, the roll-up curtain’s right side should be turned through the four-inch opening on the side. The remaining gap should be closed by hand sewing it. Next, use the tailor’s chalk to draw a line across the top of the roll-up curtain, leaving a space of one and a half inches. The user should put a stitch at this mark for the rod pole casing.
- As done earlier, use the tailor’s chalk to draw a line across the curtain, leaving one and a half inches margin from the bottom. Put a stitch at this mark for the dowel casing. After measuring the roll-up curtain width, one should cut a one-inch dowel as per this dimension. The next important step is to insert the dowel into the casing, and the ends should be sewed closed. The stitched roll up curtains can now be hung on the rod pole brackets. The curtain’s bottom can be rolled up to the desired height to let in the requisite amount of sunlight in the final stage.
Roll-up curtains appeal to the masses as they are cost-effective and their suitability to block the sunlight as per requirement. In addition to it, they impart a classical feel to contemporary homes. The roll-up curtains also emerge as an efficient and viable window treatment solution and offer us privacy and comfort in our homes. In addition to it, they keep the house cool and clean. Try the above steps as a guideline to help you in making your own roll up curtains. If you aren’t sure, try looking online for a DIY tutorial for more help.