What are Mini Blinds?
Mini blinds are a common sighting in households and office spaces alike. But, have you wondered why these are called mini-blinds? It is not as if the blinds themselves are short in length. The mini blinds, simply put, have slats that have a lesser width in comparison to normal blinds. The slats of these blinds have less than half the width of those on regular blinds. This distinction provides a unique look to these blinds and also results in several specific benefits over their regular counterparts.
Benefits of Mini Blinds over Regular Blinds
Mini blinds are a popular fixture in households, offices, and any other places which make use of window treatments. What makes them so popular? There are several factors that work in their favor. Let us look at them in greater detail:
• Effective light control: Mini blinds provide you with excellent light control which is much better than regular blinds with the sole exception of blackout blinds. However, blackout blinds block the light out at the expense of preventing the view of the outside. With these blinds, you get efficient light control, and you also get to keep the view.
• Ease of cleaning: Most of them are made from synthetic material which is extremely durable also. Hence, you don’t need to worry about fading or staining caused by cleaners or the damage due to moisture. You can easily clean these blinds with household cleaners including water. You can also dust them or wipe clean them. Hence the general upkeep and maintenance of these blinds are smooth and hasslefree.
• Affordability: Unlike the regular blinds which can cost you a fortune if you want to outfit the entire house, mini blinds can be a more cost-effective and efficient option. These blinds are available in a variety of price ranges that suit all kinds of budgets. This is one of the reasons why these blinds are so popular.
• Versatility: Mini blinds are versatile enough to find themselves at home in a variety of décors styles and interiors. Whether you are getting the blinds for your home or your office space, you can never go wrong with these blinds. These blinds are elegant and sophisticated enough to accentuate the look of the room these are installed in.
How to Shorten Your Mini Blinds at Home
While mini blinds are a great window treatment choice for your house, they aren’t bereft of some of the issues you often come across when using window coverings in your house. Blinds being longer than the windows or not as per your liking is one such issue. This is a common issue as most of the blinds that the brands offer, are made as per the standard window size and don’t accommodate the possible variations in window sizes that individual houses may have. However, it is an issue that can easily be fixed at home without any external help. You can shorten the blinds by following some simple steps. Let us look at them in detail:
Disclaimer: Please follow these instructions at your own risk. ZebraBlinds takes no liability for any issues or damages caused through following DIY methods. Since all blinds and shades are different, we always recommend checking with your blind manufacturer or retailer first before making any modifications to your blinds. As well, if you are uncomfortable on your own, look for the help of a professional.
• Step 1: You need to start by measuring the height of the window. This will give you an idea of the ideal length of the mini blinds you desire. You need to start recording measurement from the top of the mounting mechanism from where the blinds will be hanged and go all the way down to the windowsill. Once you are done with the measurement, note the readings down so that there are no errors later on.
• Step 2: Take the blinds down by removing the headrails from the mounting bracket and place the blinds on a flat surface and expand them to their maximum length. Now measure the blinds from the top till the slat that corresponds with the readings you got for the height of the window. You need to add some buffer of about an inch to allow room for error. Using a marker mark the point from where you need to start removing the slats.
• Step 3: Mini blinds have plugs at the bottom rail. You need to remove the plugs before you can start removing the slats. Locate the plugs and remove them. Doing so is pretty straightforward and does not require you to do anything fancy.
• Step 4: Once the plugs are removed, you will get access to the lift cord and the blind strings ladders. Now untie the knots on the lift cords and pull them upwards to remove them from the bottom rail and the blind slats. Continue doing so until you have removed the lift cords from the blind slat you had marked earlier.
• Step 5: Remove the bottom rail out of the string ladders by sliding them out.
• Step 6: After removing the bottom rail, you will have easy access to the slats. Start removing the slats one by one until you have removed the marked slat. These slats will also slide out from the string ladders just like the bottom rail.
• Step 7: Put the bottom rail back in by sliding it in through the string ladders situated just beneath the remaining slats.
• Step 8: Cut the extra portion of the string ladders using a scissor.
• Step 9: Reconnect the lift cords to the bottom rail by passing them through the holes in the bottom rail.
• Step 10: Tie knots in all the lift cords. While tieing the knots make sure that all the lift cords are of the same length. This is important to ensure that the blinds are oriented properly.
• Step 11: Cut off the extra length of the lift strings after allowing a buffer of about an inch.
• Step 12: Put the bottom rail plugs back in their place. These plugs keep the lift string knots securely in place inside the bottom rail.
• Step 13: Re-mount the blinds and try raising and lowering the blinds to make sure that everything works smoothly and efficiently. If the blinds work fine then that it. You are done with shortening your mini blinds.
Longer mini blinds don’t look neat and can ruin the look of the interiors besides also creating a safety concern. Longer blinds can be accessed by children or pets in the house. In their curious enthusiasm, they may tug at the blinds or the pull cords and damage the blinds in the process. They can also injure themselves in the process. Hence, it is always advisable to keep the blinds beyond the reach of the kids and pets in the house. Shortening your mini blinds can be a great way of doing that while it will also make the blinds look tidy and impressive. You can shorten the blinds easily at home by following the steps discussed above. However, if your mini blinds are still covered under brand warranty, you will be better off by letting them take care of it as shortening the blinds yourself can void the warranty.