There is just something about wooden blinds that can light up the whole space. Real wood adds a soft glow and warmth to the surroundings that weaves magic in any room. When you walk into a chic rustic hotel, restaurant, or even a workspace, there is just something very enriching about it. Real or natural wood blinds are however quite expensive and if you have more than one or two windows to dress, real wood blinds can cut a hole in the pocket. This is the reason behind the growing popularity of Faux Wood Blinds which has the look and feel of real wood but as the name suggests it is made of composite wood or PVC and is extremely cost-effective. Place them in a commercial or homely setup and watch them seamlessly blend into the atmosphere. The sea is vast and the choices are many. So why pick faux wood blinds over other window treatments?
Why Choose Faux Wooden Blinds?
There are many reasons to pick these blinds apart from their sleek and subtle look. They are durable, easy to maintain and can survive under extreme conditions like in a high moisture zone. This makes them a popular window treatment choice for bathrooms and kitchens. Unlike real wood, they do not warp or peel off when exposed to water or heat. Since they’re made of wooden composites, they’re pocket friendly too. It’s a breeze to clean them as well. Just remember to regularly dust it and you’re good to go. Their charm will never fade as they accent your space. From white to gray, pick the colors that’ll bring out your window spaces. Faux wooden blinds are available in a variety of colors, sizes, and shades. So, pick the ones that you like the best.
How to Shorten Cordless Faux Wood Blinds
When it comes to shortening blinds, there are some tips and tricks that will help. It is important to have a toolbox handy. A toolbox will be of immediate help to tighten any loose screws, nuts or bolts. It will also be needed when you need to repair the blinds. You often resort to shortening blinds when the length of the blind exceeds the window length.
Before you dive into this, it is important to remember the important parts of the faux wood blinds. When it comes to shortening blinds, four parts are at play – ladder, slat, bottom rail, and bottom rail plug. Get familiar with where these three parts are located so that when you can shorten your blinds quicker.
Disclaimer: Please follow these instructions at your own risk. ZebraBlinds takes no liability for any issues or damaged caused through following DIY methods. Since all blinds and shades are different, we always recommend checking with your blind manufacturer or retailer first before making any modifications to your blinds. As well, if you are uncomfortable on your own, look for the help of a professional.
Here are important steps you need to follow to shorten your cordless faux wood blinds.
1) Ensure the blinds are properly fixed on your window and pull them down till they reach the end of the window (to their maximum).
2) Locate the excess slats from the bottom. Do not start with the bottom-most slat. Instead, start with the one above that. Gently hold the slat, move it from the ladder below and cut it as close to a 45-degree angle as possible.
3) While cutting, make sure that you cut through the small hole in which the lift cord passes through. Do not under any circumstance alter or cut the lift cord, this could permanently damage the blinds. Keep repeating wherever the lift cord passes through on the same slat. This to remove all the excess slats without hampering the lift cord.
4) You need to repeat this with all the slats till you reach the one that is parallel to the window bottom.
5) Tilt the bottom slat to have a view of the bottom rail plugs. With a sharp object from your toolbox (pliers or screwdrivers), try to pop out the bottom plug and gently pull it along the length of the bottom rail.
6) Since this plug is attached to the lift cord, it might create tension and revert to its old position. In this case, you’ll have to tactfully adjust the ladder cord. This slightly technical so it’s advisable to do this help of experts or tutorials by experts.
7) Pull up the bottom rail after making the necessary adjustments. You can find ways (like tapping) to ensure the other blinds don’t disrupt this process.
8) Hold the ladder in place on top and bottom of the bottom rail. Pull out the bottom plug so you can insert the newly cut ladder cord. Then you can re-insert the plug. Since there is more than one bottom plug, please sure that the same amount of ladder cord is fitted in both these plugs.
Shortening the length of your Faux Wood Blinds is not difficult and you can do it yourself by following the process. However, if you are in doubt it is always recommended to get professional assistance to prevent ruining your blinds irreparably.