Cornice boards are designed to cover the top part of your window treatments and add depth and architectural interest to the entire window. They not only enhance the beauty and grace of your windows but also hide the unattractive window treatment hardware, making it look clean and clutter-free. Installing them will complete the look of the windows, creating a statement for the entire home décor. Besides providing a stylish transformation, they offer your space with multiple functional values. They enhance the capability of blocking sunlight and unwanted UV rays. They help hold your interior decor together while highlighting the windows in a dramatic way. You can choose from different shapes and sizes to fit every window perfectly. Tufted cornice boards are the most popular because of their amazing design that adds style to your space.
Getting tufted cornice boards online can cost you extra but you can make your own cornice board that will give you the ultimate peace of mind while adding visual interest to your space. Can you make a tufted cornice board at home? The answer is yes. Following some basic tips will make your task easier and simple. In this article, we will show you the easiest and quickest ways of making this tufted cornice board that will add special embellishment, creating dramatic flair.
DIY Tufted Cornice Board
Before you start the procedure, make sure you have the following tools –
• 1” Foam
• Decorative Fabric
• Decorative screw heads
• Glue gun and glue
• Staple gun
Now, follow the below steps to create your own DIY tufted cornice board –
• The first thing is to measure the windows accurately for a perfect fit. When measuring the width, make sure to add 2 inches to the measurement. Now check how much length you want for your cornice board but make sure it should not be more than 1/5 of the total window or window treatment as they are designed to cover only the topmost portion of the window.
• After taking the measurements cut the board according to the size.
• Attach plywood to the board to make it super strong and durable and use glue to fix them together. Take a cloth and wipe the extra glue coming out.
• Take the 1-inch foam and cut it as per the size of the board and stick them together using glue.
• Draw a line in the middle and two extra lines (one at the top and one at the bottom). Mark a point in the middle line and then make points all over the board with 5 inches apart.
• Use a scissor to make holes (you can easily make holes as the foam is 1 inch thick).
• Cut the batting as per the size and put it on the foam.
• Now take your decorative cloth, iron it for complete smoothness, and place it one the foam. You can use the same curtain fabric for making this cornice board to create the uniformity on the window.
• Take the washers and screws to make the tufts. Put the screws inside the washers and start making the tufts. You can use decorative screw heads to hide the unattractive screws. Use adhesive to cover up the holes at the back made by the screws.
• Now for both the sides, take two pieces of boards together glued it with the 1-inch foam. Cut it as per the size and use a glue gun to fix. Do the same thing for both sides.
• Use a staple gun to stapling the extra fabric to the board.
• And your cornice board is ready to use. Use the L-brackets to install the board over the window.
Note– This is the basic way of making your DIY tufted cornice board. There are several ways of doing this. Choose the one that is simple and you are comfortable with and get your tufted cornice board ready for mounting and flaunting.
Following the above guideline step by step will help you to create a cornice board easily, creating a designer-worthy look for your windows. Consult with the professionals for more details and make it without any hassle!
Disclaimer: Please follow these instructions at your own risk. ZebraBlinds takes no liability for any issues or damage caused through following DIY methods. If you are uncomfortable on your own, look for the help of a professional.