Blinds are usually quite easy to operate when you raise and lower them mechanically. But it’s another thing entirely to deal with them when they’re broken. But this does happen, sometimes blinds just break. In most cases when dealing with blinds, we’re usually dealing with more of a malfunction than anything actually breaking. The good news is that malfunctions can usually be corrected without needing the help of a professional or a replacement. In cases such as these, we can show you how to fix uneven blinds by realigning them.
If your blind has cords, then the process to repair them will be slightly different from the more popular cordless blinds. Here are the steps involved in diagnosing and fixing stuck blinds.
• This first step is for when your blinds are stuck in the raised position and will not lower.
• Raise your cord to headrail level to ensure that the cord lock is disengaged at which point the blinds should come unstuck
• In most cases of stuck blinds, this usually resolves the problem
• In the event that step one did not help you fix the issue with your stuck blinds, you will need to keep going
• Unhook your blinds from the window
• Examine your headrail to find the mechanism that helps you control your blinds
• You will find the cord lock mechanism which has a pin
• While taking additional care to not touch the cording, use the flat side of a flathead screwdriver to push the pin down
• This should release the cords and fix your blinds
• If this does not fix the problem with your stuck blinds then you will need to consider professional help but this is a rare occurrence
If you’re dealing with cordless blinds that have the same problem then please follow the next steps to resolve your issue on how to fix uneven blinds.
• Lower your cordless blinds down as far as possible given the current condition of your blinds
• This will straighten the internal ribbons up to the point where they’re stuck.
• Do not try to straighten them by pulling the sides, as such an action could simply make things worse
• So instead it would be best to pull the blinds by the lower middle section so the ribbons don’t get tangled anymore
• Focus on the middle of the bottom rail by pulling it and thereby activate your blinds so they will recoil
• Repeat steps one and two a couple more times.
• What you’re doing here is straightening out all the internal ribbons while also using only the centre to avoid any more tangling
• If this process does not fix your problem, then you will need to look closer and chances are you might need some replacement parts. Be gentle during this process as blinds can be quite delicate in such circumstances.
• If you try pulling too hard past a point where they can no longer stretch or move, you will most certainly break them, so be careful.
• If the above steps did not fix your issue, then take your blinds off the window for the next step
• Examine the headrail and check the internal mechanism.
• There will be a motor spring, this is what helps you control your blinds along with various friction clips that help manage your blinds
• Examine the clips and see if any of them have taken any damage, have warped in some way, or look like they may have been defective to begin with.
• If you find a broken/defective friction clip, then there’s a good chance you’ll have found your issue
• Getting a replacement friction clip from the manufacturer after finding problem is simply a matter of picking up the phone at this point
• If none of the clips are broken, then here’s what you need to try
• There is a chance that your blinds are uneven precisely because there are too many friction clips doing their job too well, applying more friction than the system can balance
• Start testing your blinds each time while removing the friction clips one by one
• Your blinds should eventually be back to normal and right as rain
Blinds are usually very easy to fix on their own and require very little experience for regular maintenance. However, this is not always the case. Sometimes the issue may not be as clear as you had hoped or maybe uneven blinds are not the core issue that you are facing. We would just like to say that if you feel like you need to call a professional or ask for help from the manufacturer, it’s a good idea to go ahead and get them to help you with how to fix uneven blinds or other issues.