Despite the increasing popularity of blinds and shades, curtains and drapes have lost none of their sheen or glamour. They continue to remain a hot favorite among homeowners and you will find at least one curtain in every house even today. Curtains can be equally versatile and there is no doubt about their elegance and beauty.
Selecting a curtain that will blend with your home décor and meet your need for light blockage and insulation is no mean task. Once you have made the tough choice it is time to get your curtains fitted to your windows.
The fitting process itself comes with a set of decisions to make. One of these decisions is whether fitting curtains inside a recess is a good idea. The process of fitting the curtains can be a little overwhelming too. But once you have armed yourself with all the information you need, fitting curtains inside a recess becomes easy and a simple choice to make.
What Are Recesses or Window Recesses?
The term window recesses is used to describe the area between the window and the inside wall of a house. A recess is created when a window is placed in a way that it is not flush with the wall. This creates an area that is usually called a sill. This sill does not always have a lot of space that is usable. In most cases, it can be large enough to sit or hold items like small flower pots, small decorative items or photo frames.
Why Mount the Curtains Inside the Window Recess?
If you have more space on the window sill that can be used and if you leave the curtains down most of the time, it is best if you mount your curtains inside the window recess. The curtains would be placed much closer to the windows efficiently blocking the light from outside. It will also let your window recess be free of the flowing fabric of the curtains if you intend to use them for seating purposes or to place eye-catching objects on it to make it a focal point of your home decor.
The pros of mounting the curtain inside the recess are-
• It lends the whole room a neater and classier look and finishes.
• The curtains can easily be fitted to the window frame for a close and snug fit to the window.
• The sill remains available for use, either for seating purposes or for display purposes, even when the curtains are closed.
The cons of mounting the curtain inside the recess are-
• Fitting curtains inside a recess can make sure that only a very little amount of light enters the room when the curtains are in an open position.
• It can be awkward to open and close the curtains often. Mounting the curtains inside the recess will work well only if the window is in a place where you will not need to open it very often.
How to Install the Curtains on the Inside of the Window Recess
When you have your heart set on fitting the curtain on the inside of the window recess, the next thing you will need to do is the actual fitting of the curtains While fitting the curtains in the window recesses are relatively uncomplicated, it would do good if you have some experience in handling curtains and blinds. If you are not very confident in fitting your own curtains in the window recesses, it may be a good idea to get professional help. But, if you have a thorough knowledge of the work in hand, you can do it just as easily. All you will need are some basic tools and an insight into the process and you can fix you on curtains in no time.
Please note that the following instructions are to be referred only when you need help with fitting a curtain on the inside of the window recesses.
Disclaimer: Please follow these instructions at your own risk. ZebraBlinds takes no liability for any issues or damaged caused through following DIY methods. Since all blinds and shades are different, we always recommend checking with your blind manufacturer or retailer first before making any modifications to your blinds. As well, if you are uncomfortable on your own, look for the help of a professional.
• Make sure that all the measurements taken are correct before you start with the process. Always place the track on the inside of the recess to make sure that there are no discrepancies in the measurements taken.
• It is better if you go for a top fix
• Add a minimum of 5 to 10 mm clearance for the placement and function of the handles of the window. You will need to measure the dimensions of the window handles prior to the placement of the brackets to make sure that enough clearance is provided.
• Next, place the brackets against the wall. While doing so, you will need to keep the clearance distance for the window handle in mind. Mark the places where the bracket holes are very clear.
• When you have marked everything correctly, you may want to recheck measurements and the markings. Once you are happy with everything use a hand drill to drill into the marked areas that were marked previously for the fixing of the brackets.
• Make sure that you place more brackets if the track is wider than normal this is to ensure that the weight of the curtains is securely held later in the process.
• Once you have drilled the marked areas, you will need to insert a raw plug into each hole. When you are going to hang curtains, you will need longer screws.
• Now, you are ready to fix the brackets. Place the brackets one by one on to the marked areas and firmly ease the screws in to secure the brackets. You may use a screwdriver or a hand drill to get this done.
• When the brackets and all the fixings are screwed into place, you can clip the track on to them.
• Next use the pins provided to clip the curtains on to the track one by one. Make sure that you begin the clipping from one end of the track to the other. By the end of the process, you should have been able to use up all the track pin fixings. This is to ensure that the curtains are well supported and at regular intervals.
• When you have completely fitted the curtains on to the track, try opening and closing them. If the work has been properly done, you should be able to open, close or move the fabric to either sides easily.
• If you are accessorizing your curtain, this is the time to do it.
• Make sure that the child safety design on your product is followed thoroughly while the installation is in progress. You have successfully mounted the curtains inside the window recess and they will enhance the aesthetic appeal of the window and the rooms.