Difference Between Wood And Faux Wood Blinds: Making An Informed Decision
Among the list of the most popular window treatments, blinds are ideal for both homes and offices. Their wooden appearance adds an uncanny elegance to the windows, thus making the room classy and complete. Generally, blinds are either made of real wood or faux wood (PVC, composite wood material, Vinyl, Vinyl compounds). But apart from the composition, there are numerous other differences between wood and faux wood blinds which are shown for you on this blog. Though the ultimate choice is majorly influenced by your needs and requirements, there are certain things which you should know before making the final decision. Both have their pros and cons but their performance depends on your use. For example, real wooden blinds can add elegance to the room but might not perform very well in moist areas. On the other hand, faux wood blinds can work really well in bathrooms and kitchens but might end up adding a very casual look to the room.
Understanding Faux Wood Blinds
As the name suggests, faux wood blinds are an imitation of real wood blinds. They provide a wooden touch to some extent and are made of materials which can prove to be much more durable than real wood. Usually made of PVC or vinyl, there are variants which have wooden based core with a high tech polymer coating on the top.
Extremely durable, resistant, and sturdy, faux wood blinds are long lasting and hardly fade or crack. Ideal for bathrooms and kitchens, faux wood blinds are easy to clean and install too. A simple microfibre cloth with some cleaner can do enough to wipe all the dirt away. Light on the wallet and highly economical, faux wood blinds are a very good choice for children’s room. However, you might face a little bit of struggle if you have oversized windows. Relatively flexible to real wood blinds, faux wood blinds have a negative point when it comes to weight.
Be careful while purchasing faux wood blinds as there are numerous dealers selling inferior products which may turn yellow and tend to crack after time.
Norman Faux Wood Blinds
If you don’t want to compromise with quality, Norman faux wood blinds are the epitome of trust, value, and grade. Graceful, stylish and sophisticated, Norman offers you everything you expect in a good quality faux wood blind. Their blinds are made from synthetically processed fine quality PVC and Vinyl. Long lasting and well made, it is very easy and time-saving to maintain them after installation. You can browse through Zebrablinds.com and have a look at the various options of norman faux wood blinds available in the market.
How Do Cordless Faux Wood Blinds Work?
Normally faux wood blinds are operated with a pull cord system but some variants offer cordless features as well. Besides enjoying durability and style, if convenience is your thing, go for cordless faux wood blinds which offer a clean, clutter-free, and fresh look to your windows. Operate them with a gentle push-pull system and keep your children and pets safe from getting tangled in the dangling cords.
Understanding Real Wood Blinds
Wholesome and warm, real wood blinds have a very organic appearance. If you have a wood-based interior, pure wood blinds are the best window treatment to opt for. Their natural hues and sophisticated looks can complement any window in almost any room. They can be a next level addition to the furniture and add a very deluxe feel to the room. A perfect piece of window covering for a pure wood fan, they are usually made from North American hardwoods. Profoundly elite and extremely premium, if you want that rich appearance, dealing with their hard maintenance is inevitable. Unfortunately, their good looks come with tricky methods of cleanliness. Keep water and chemicals at bay when cleaning the real wood blinds. Pamper them with a light dusting cloth and a gentle wipe three times a week. Do not rub the slats harshly as it can cause aberrations on the surface and spoil the slats once for all. If maintenance is not your problem, then getting this piece of high-class furniture does not need a second thought.
Composite Wood Blinds
These blinds are made of a combination of real wood, PVC, polystyrene, and some other substances to give them a hard and durable composition. To have a taste of both worlds, this is a very good option as their core is made of plastic. This keeps them from warping and lets you taste the benefits of both wood and faux wood blinds.
Faux Wood Blinds V Wood Blinds: A Tough Competition
- Durability: Though both real wood and faux wood blinds are sturdy and last long as compared to many other window coverings available in the market, faux wood blinds are more resistant to cracking, warping and fading, and perform better when it comes to moist areas.
- Affordability: Wood blinds are a piece of luxurious window coverings while faux wood blinds are a more of informal day to day, budget-friendly window treatments. When it comes to affordability, the decision is very subjective, but yes, faux wood blinds are relatively cheaper than pure wood blinds.
- Aesthetics: Top-notch, upscale, and posh, real wood blinds are very fine and sophisticated. They gain their finesse from the hardwood and undeniably, they are a window treatment to die for when it comes to aesthetics. On the other hand, if you want their experience in a lower price range, then faux wood blinds will also do your job but well, it is more like settling for the second best option.
- Weight: If you have huge windows, then faux wood blinds won’t work as expected because their heavyweight can be a hindrance to their smooth operation. Go for real wood blinds and enjoy their everlasting finesse.
- Privacy and light control: High in insulation and sunlight blocking, wooden blinds perform really well when it comes to privacy and light control. The credit goes to their wooden opaque structure and finely made slats woven in the pull cord system.
- Maintenance and Cleaning: As you know, faux wood blinds are meant for a rough and tough use. They hardly crack, warp or fade. In addition to this, they can be easily cleaned within a couple of minutes. While real wood blinds are time and effort demanding. They need a regular wipe with a gentle cloth every now and then. And of course, who likes a fine piece of furniture to be covered in dust?
Best Blinds For Living Room Windows
Being in the heart of your house, living rooms deserve a good amount of attention with some special treatment. Though both faux wood blinds and real wood blinds work really well in their own ways, we would suggest you go for real wood blinds when it comes to living rooms. Due to the absence of moisture and humidity, there is hardly any problem in their maintenance in the living room. However, if you live in an extremely hot and humid climate then well, you don’t have much choice, do you?
We at Zebrablinds.com are always available for you. Call and email us in case you have any more questions and visit our website to order some free samples for your home sweet home.