When planning your dream home, you go over every nitty-gritty involved right from the design of the house, placement of the windows and doors to the choice of furniture and decoratives for the interiors. One thing people sometimes overlook or don’t pay enough attention to is the choice of coverings or treatment products to put up on the windows and doors in the house. Blinds, shades, shutters, curtains and other such coverings provide great value for the investment.
Knowing which kind of covering will be best for your house goes a long way in ensuring that you get the maximum bang for your bucks. There are a variety of window treatment options out there, be it blinds, shutters or any other type of covering. Each has distinct advantages suited to specific requirements. Depending on your home décor needs and preferences, you can pick the coverings which take care of all such needs.
What are Blinds?
Blinds are a kind of window treatment options which are more suited to be installed inside the house. These are normally mounted at the top of the window, open vertically and hang down freely to cover the window panes. These blinds are normally operated via a pull cord but other mechanisms such as looped cords and even cordless variants are available. Blinds are very simplistic but have many handy features which include, great heat insulation, better light-control and also glare reduction.
Advantages of Opting for Blinds
Blinds are easy to install and surely make the atmosphere inside the house more comfortable. Let us look at some of the advantages that blinds have in greater detail:
• Affordable: Blinds are very cost-effective when compared to other types of window coverings. The cost varies depending on the choice of material used in making these blinds. Aluminum blinds are more economical while wooden blinds can be a little bit costlier. If you are on a budget and still want to adorn the windows and doors in your house with coverings that look great and are also highly functional, then blinds are the ideal pick for you.
• Good heat insulation: Barren windows are very poor at blocking the outside heat especially is these are glass windows. Blinds provide decent insulation against the summer heat and help make the environment inside the house a lot more comfortable. By preventing the heat gain from outside, the blinds ensure that the temperature inside the house does not rise too much.
• Better light control: Blinds filter the light entering the house through the windows and help reduce the glare. This glare reduction not only allows better visibility inside the house but also makes the interiors more homely. Moreover, the blinds also block harmful UV radiation and thereby, protect us and the furniture inside the house from the ill-effects of UV exposure.
• You get to keep the view: Blinds have the unique ability to tilt. This allows you to keep the view of the outside, accessible to you per your preference.
• Privacy gains: Prying eyes eager to peep inside your house through the windows are never too far away. Blinds which are internal coverings, allow you to keep your privacy. These blinds prevent onlookers from looking inside your house and this helps ensure good privacy. You need to pick the right kind of blinds depending on your specific requirements. If you are installing blinds in your bedroom or bathroom, privacy is a paramount consideration.
• Energy efficiency: Since blinds prevent heat gain, they also allow the air conditioning system inside your house to function more efficiently. This reduces your energy bill and also prolongs the life cycle of your air conditioner. You, as a result, also save up on money which you would have otherwise spent on the maintenance of the air conditioner.
• Minimalistic design: Blinds are minimalistic and have a very simple yet elegant design appeal. This makes them ideal for homes as well as offices. If the décor in your home is a bit extravagant, the blinds with their simplicity may be the perfect thing to balance it all out.
What are Shutters?
Shutters are yet another popular window covering options at your disposal. These shutters are ideal to be installed inside or outside the house, unlike the blinds which are normally installed inside the house. Shutters are a bit heavier than other types of window treatments and this is the reason why these are mounted directly on the window frame instead of being installed on a separate mounting bracket above the window.
Benefits of Having Shutters?
Shutters are more versatile and find use in a variety of situations and this provides them with distinct advantages. Let us look at them in greater detail:
• Longevity: Shutters are quite sturdy and hence will last you for a very long time. This durability of shutters makes them preferential for many people who do not want to invest in window treatments that frequently. The shutters are normally made up of wood but faux wood or composite wood shutters are also available. Due to the choice of the material and sturdier construction, shutters are a touch more expensive. However, since these are going to outlast any other type of window coverings, shutters prove to be very cost-effective in the long run.
• Superior heat insulation: If a house receives more sun or is situated in a warmer area, there is no window treatment product better than shutters to prevent heat gain. The shutters are made up of thicker wooden slats and hence, these provide superior heat insulation.
• Better resilience against humidity: Shutters normally can withstand humid conditions better than other types of window coverings. While natural wood variants may see some damage over time, you can opt for composite wood or faux wood shutters which handle moisture better. This higher resilience makes them ideal for places such as bathrooms, kitchens, etc. which are more likely to be exposed to both heat and humidity. It is this benefit that also makes them ideal for basements.
• Complement internal window coverings: Since the shutters can also be installed externally, they actually complement the internal window covering installed on the windows. Not only do the shutters block out most of the heat and light but also protect the internal blinds or shades from any color fading or other damage due to exposure to the Sun’s heat and light.
• Customisability: Since the material used in making the shutters is natural wood, composite wood with a water-repellent layer or faux wood, customizing the shutters to suit your specific design or fitting preferences is very easy. This high degree of customizability also makes them a popular choice.
How do the Blinds Differ from the Shutters?
Blinds and shutters both are great window treatment products but each has unique advantages. While blinds are more suited for internal use, shutters can be used both inside and outside the house. Shutters are sturdier in comparison to the blinds but shutters also block the view completely. Shutters are also heavier than the blinds and hence need more care in mounting. In terms of cost, blinds are also much more affordable.
If you have a limited area around the windows or the windows are situated in places which are difficult to reach, installing blinds will be easier and also advisable. Similarly, if your house is situated in an area that receives more Sun or more rain, shutters will be more effective and will hold you in better stead. While blinds are less costly when compared to the shutters, shutters make up for it in terms of their longevity. So, in a nutshell, it comes down to what your specific requirements are. Depending on them, you can either go with the blinds or can opt for the shutters.