The Ultimate Difference Between Blinds and Shades
Redecorating your home is a challenge, and should you choose to accept it, we are here to help you out. With a wide variety of embellishments and the never-ending choices available in the market, we understand the kind of pressure you undergo in trying to make the right decisions. Among those challenges lies the selection of a suitable window treatment. To make that choice wisely, you need to understand the basic difference between the two most common window coverings – shades and blinds. Both of them have a number of variants, the choice of which depends on your needs. We believe that it is not hard to make a decision when you know what your requirements are. So figure out what your needs are first, then go to our blog to have a better understanding of both types of window treatments.
Understanding The Difference Between Blinds and Shades
An Insight Into Shades
Shades are among our favorite soft window treatments. They are usually made of fabric, vinyl, woven wood or grasses, and are closely fitted onto your windows. The idea is to cover a broad window opening with sheer grace and creativity. With a very smooth and rich look, shades are free from slats or vanes. You can adjust them with the cord or a spring device. Modern-day shades are cord-free. They offer motorized technology which is super comfortable and easy to use.
Exploring The Best Choices Available
With a number of variants, window shades are among the best window treatments available on the market. To save you some effort, we have shortlisted 4 kinds of shades which may suit the needs of your room.
- Woven Shades: Varying between a wide price bracket, woven shades are available in many qualities. From very cheap to extremely exorbitant, you can choose the kind which suits your budget. Usually made of bamboo, straw, natural grasses, and jute, they will add warmth and comfort to your room. Ideal for living rooms and bedrooms, if coupled with the correct drapery, they provide the room with a very royal and vintage feel.
- Roller Shades: Roller shades are fabric based shades in which the cloth is rolled onto a tube. They are usually unrolled with a cord loop clutch system. Modern-day roller shades offer the cordless feature which adds to the safety of your children and pets. They can be tailor-made depending on the look and feel of your room. Some of them also offer an attached solar screen fabric to protect you from the harsh sunlight. For a traditional look, you can choose shades with beautiful motifs and pair them up with your favorite tassels and trims.
- Roman Shades: Elegant and sophisticated, roman shades are fabric based shades with horizontal folds. They offer a wide variety of customization from different color fabrics to various sizes and types. Ideal for almost every room, they carry an uncanny richness of royal magnificence.
Cellular Shades A.K.A Honeycomb Shades: Cellular shades are the perfect combination of utility and style. They are made from a cluster of hexagonal cells arranged together in a honeycomb-like structure. With high insulation, they are highly compatible with almost every window in the house. Modern-day cellular shades offer a cordless and motorized feature which makes their operations extremely effortless. They absorb the outside heat during winters and regulate the temperature inside your room, which makes them the most energy efficient shades available in the market. Not just this, honeycomb shades can complement nearly all kinds of home decor with their wide varieties and highly customizable variants. Quoting Margaret Ryall, a well known interior designer – “Cellular shades are one of the most versatile window treatments available today”.
An Insight Into Blinds
After a brief introduction of the modern-day shades, it is time for you to understand everything about blinds and make out all the Differences between Blinds and Shades.
As the name suggests, Blinds are designed to provide you with a considerable amount of privacy and light control. They are available in a range of materials like wood, faux wood, PVC, vinyl, composite wood (Wood + PVC), and aluminum. With horizontal/vertical slats, blinds offer you complete flexibility in controlling the amount of light entering your room. Modern-day blinds come with cordless technology to keep your children and pets safe from those dangling chords. Just as shades, blinds also come in a number of variants.
- Faux Wood Blinds: Faux wood blinds are available in a wide range of qualities. From colors of bass and bamboo to ash and maple, you can choose the kind of wood that suits your room and budget. With their soothing warm tones, you can hang the right kind of drapes and pamper your residence with complementing hues.
- Vertical Blinds: Vertical blinds are an ideal choice for large sized windows and patio doors. They are usually available in fabric and vinyl. Vertical Blinds are exclusively designed to provide you with a flexibility of controlling privacy and light. Another advantage of installing vertical blinds is their low maintenance. Due to their shape, hardly any dust is accumulated on them which makes them one of our favorite window treatments.
- Venetian Blinds A.K.A Horizontal Aluminum Blinds: Venetian blinds are made of strips called slats which are attached to each other through a lift cord. They offer maximum control over light due to the high degrees of separation they are designed to provide. Talking about their aesthetics, gone are those days when Venetian blinds used to belong to the office windows. Today, they are available in bright shades and quirky textures which makes them a perfect choice for your living rooms and bedrooms. Easy to maintain, the new age aluminum made Venetian blinds are ideal for moist areas such as your bathrooms and kitchens.
Blinds and Shades: A Quick Comparison
# SHADES – PROS
- A wide variety of colors and styles to choose from
- Convenient to use
- Safe for children and pets with cordless options
- Cellular Shades are very energy efficient
# SHADES – CONS
- More expensive
- No vanes mean no tilt controls
# BLINDS – PROS
- Flexible light control
- Easily adjustable
- Extremely durable
- Affordable options
- Very easy to maintain
# BLINDS – CONS
- Less variety of designs
- Dust accumulates on horizontal blinds
- Comparatively less energy efficient
Modern Blinds and Shades: The Conclusion
There have been instances when people have used the terms shades and blinds interchangeably. Just like the numerous differences between the blinds and shades, there are some common characteristics which make some of them fall into the categories of other window treatments too. Sheer vertical blinds carry looks similar to the fabric draperies and have an opening and closing feature like Venetian blinds. Just like the roman shades and woven wood fabrics that have characteristics of drapery, panel track blinds offer features similar to vertical blinds too.
The Decision Making
Before making the final call, contemplate the amount of light you want inside your room. Then consider your privacy control requirements. Going for the energy saving options can also contribute to reducing your electricity bills. Pricing and aesthetics are the two more important factors to be considered before deciding on the right window treatments for your house. Also consider the maintenance differences, durability, and style when choosing between the two different treatments.
Visit Zebrablinds.com and explore all the beautiful window treatments we would like to offer you. Decorate your windows with some of the most premium window treatments and open up to a whole new experience of living with elegance and appeal.