A house built in contemporary times comes equipped with all the modern amenities. Window treatment solutions are a part of the home automation revolution, which is one of the most dynamic innovations in home décor. With the increasing popularity of the Internet of Things (IoT) and the resultant connectivity options at the disposal, modern houses boast of automated technology solutions that make the owners’ lives more luxurious. The majority of the devices today can be remotely controlled, and window treatment solutions are among them. In the past, people were forced to cover the windows with crude and rough coverings. Today, there are many options available to make the windows the focal point of the house and enhance the room’s aesthetic appeal. Blinds are a popular option for people who want to have sunlight and temperature control through a window solution. Blinds are available in different shades and types. One of the most practical of them all is the motorized blinds.
What Is A Motorized Blind?
A window blind is a window solution with a number of horizontal or vertical slats that overlap to provide a complete window covering. Usually, window blinds are made up of hard material that can be wood, plastic, or even metal held together using cords that run throughout the window blind slats.
A motorized blind is also known as an electric blind. It can be operated with the help of an electric motor which in turn is controlled with remote control. The remote function is ordinarily capable of lifting the blind, but it can also be applied to tilt the louvers. Motorized blinds usually are safer for children as there are no dangling chords
Are motorized blinds worth the cost, and what can they do for you?
This is one question that people ask the most, and the answer is always in the affirmative. Motorized blinds might cost more than the manual ones, but they are worth the cost as they are stylish and sleek in appearance and can make the owner’s life easy. They are highly sought-after window treatments as they serve a variety of purposes.
- Motorized Blinds and Ease of Use: One of the most prominent advantages of motorized blinds is that they make the owner’s life convenient and easy. This is because the motorized blinds reduce the owner’s physical labor in going to the window and lowering the blinds. It might sound very simple at the face of it, but these blinds’ actual worth comes to the fore when they are used to operate tough to reach windows. If the house has many windows, then motorized blinds can save the owner’s time because, with a single remote, the owner can control them all. In most cases when you have a lot of windows, you don’t adjust them often because it is such a hassle, but with the power to control them all at the same time, you tend to use your blinds more which leads to more effective light control and functionality.
- Motorized Blinds and Energy-efficient Houses: Motorized blinds can help make the house energy efficient. The owner can automate the blinds to lower at set times when s/he is at work or on vacation. It helps in blocking the maximum amount of sunlight and keeps the home cooler. Further, if one connects the motorized blinds to the smart home hub, then the amount of energy required to insulate the house is reduced significantly because the blinds are programmed to act as per the sun sensor. The blinds are automatically lowered when the sun is brightest and open during the evening hours to let in air for cross-ventilation. Thus the owner does not have to spend much on home cooling solutions.
- Motorized Blind and Child safety: Motorized blinds are the safest for protecting children in the house. The manual blind comes with lots of chords that are needed to operate them. Children while playing can get stuck in them, which in extreme cases can be life-threatening as well. For those who believe that this is an overstatement, the US Consumer Product Safety commission’s report should be an eye-opener. According to it, one child under the age of ten loses his/ her life every month in the United States of America because of strangulation in the window cords. Motorized blinds do away with any such risk as there are no cords and everything is remote controlled.
- Motorized Blinds and the House’s Security: Motorized blinds give the impression that the house is occupied. Motorized blinds can be programmed to lower at specific times, as per the routine schedule. If one integrates them in a smart hub, the owner can control these blinds through an app from anywhere and adjust them to give the impression of a house being lived in.
- Motorized Blinds and the Life of Elderly and Differently Abled: Elderly and differently-abled people at times need extra support to manage their day-to-day lives. One area wherein it is most required is adjusting the blinds as per requirement. The motorized blinds do away with that concern as elderly and differently-abled can now control the blinds and adjust them as per requirement while sitting in their chairs. There are around 40 million arthritis patients in America alone. Motorized blinds can be a blessing for such patients because they now do not have to hold the chords of the blinds to adjust them. They can be pre-scheduled to open and close at specific hours without any kinds of intervention.
- Motorized Blinds and Privacy: Home is the place where we feel the safest. It is so because it is our private space where we can be ourselves and can relax. Prying eyes are the last thing one wants in a house. The motorized window blinds save the owners from the constant gaze of the outside world and can provide much-needed privacy when required.
- Motorized Blinds and Safety of the Furniture: Motorized blinds, combined with smart control, can safeguard the furnishings from excessively bright sunlight. In summers, direct sunlight can fade away the paint and texture of the valuable furniture in the room. Motorized blinds can be programmed to get lowered during the brightest hour of the day. In this way, the blind can protect the furniture and increase its life span.
- Motorized Blinds and Smart Home Integration: Motorized Blinds can make the house truly smart by getting integrated with other appliances like lights and locks. This enables the owner to create systematic scenarios wherein s/he can lower the blinds and lock the entire house with the click of one button. Further through the integration with other intelligent devices, the homeowner might create a scenario wherein the blinds might close when a particular movie I played o to create a complete cinematic experience.
- Motorized Blinds and the Perfect Ambiance of the House: Motorized Blinds contribute to creating the perfect ambiance of the room. There are no dangling and untidy chords to reconcile with, and the owner gets a sleek and perfectly fitting window blind which s/he can operate through a remote. Besides, these blinds can match the room’s interior décor and enhance the house’s aesthetic appeal.
It is owing to all the uses as mentioned above that motorized blinds are extremely popular amongst people. They help the owner make the house smart and comfortable. With the motorized blinds, the house becomes child-safe, energy-efficient, and aesthetically beautiful. Further, these blinds come in handy in a wide variety of situations. They can be used to enhance privacy, create recreational moments, and ensure the house’s security. Motorized blinds are definitely worth the cost and are a must in a modern-day smart house.