What the term ‘value’ entails
Homes are in most cases, the most important asset that a person has. This is not only because of the economic value that can be attributed to it, but also because there is a sense of sentiment attached to the home itself. The rising trend of the work-from-home culture has transformed homes into multifunctional spaces. This means that homes have a dedicated professional side (home office, study etc.) and a personal space (bedrooms, dens) along with essential parts like kitchens and bathrooms. Home gyms have also become extremely common.
With homes becoming a place that offer much more than shelter, there is the occasional requirement of maintaining and increasing its value. The context of the term ‘value’ can mean one of two things. The first understanding of the term would be economic valuation. Every little feature of a home including the décor adds to its economic value. This means that when you give it a few upgrades, or maintain it well enough, the resale value of the home increases. A few repairs and some convenient upgrades can make a massive impact on the decisions of any homebuyer.
The other meaning you can ascribe to ‘value’ would be aesthetic value or even the emotional attachment you have for your home. Your home it has everything you need and exactly where you want them to be. Personal value is very important for your home for two reasons. Firstly, a home with good aesthetic is easy on the eyes, pleasing, and a place to unwind and be yourself. When you like the way your home looks, you can set a happy vibe for yourself for the rest of the day. Secondly, they also leave a good impression on your guests, allowing you to enjoy hosting and having get togethers.
How window treatments can help you increase the value of your home
Window coverings are just as important as any other accessory for your home. A good window treatment is a long-term investment that can change the look of a room in more than one aspect. They are also extremely useful accessories.
The primary job of any window treatment is to direct the flow of natural light that enters any room through the windows. Window coverings such as blinds and shutters have multiple light control features that allow you to control how much light enters the room. The room can go from completely dark to very bright with various levels of light control in between. They are also adept at providing you with some much-needed privacy. Nowadays, curtains and shades can strike the perfect balance between allowing light inside while also giving you some privacy.
They can also help regulate the temperature of your home. Windows by themselves are poor insulators of heat. A good window treatment can go a long way in creating a comfortable environment for you by regulating the temperature. They are also extremely energy efficient because they help to lower heating and cooling costs.
Aesthetic value is a whole other aspect to window treatments. If you can get curtains, blinds or shades that match or contrast with the colour of your walls and décor, you will have a wonderful modern home. You can play around with colours, material, patterns and texture to give your home some versatility in the way it appears.
5 window coverings that can help you increase the value of your home
- Remote controlled motorised blinds – Motorised blinds are perhaps the most relevant window treatments in the market today in terms of value addition. They tick all the major boxes. They can be controlled remotely with a smartphone or a remote. This means that you can control them at your convenience from wherever you’re sitting (sometimes you don’t even have to be at home). This also means that the need for a cord control mechanism doesn’t exist, making it a safer option for homes with children and pets. They will increase the overall quality of your life. If these motorised blinds are also smart blinds, they can be integrated with other smart home systems at your home. This will allow your blinds to operate with your smart homes at optimal times, saving you a lot of time and energy.
- Wooden Blinds – Wooden blinds have a finished look that is considered to be sophisticated and traditional while also fitting in seamlessly in a modern home. You can choose between a solid and woven finish to give your house a grand look. With the right colours in hand, it can be a magnificent choice that can increase the resale value of your home. You can also choose faux wooden blinds which are close substitutes. While they aren’t made out of real wood, they are more budget friendly and are as durable.
- Plantation Shutters – These are simple and elegant for the modern home that also have a lot of history attached to them. What really helps them in increasing the value of your home is that they are custom made specifically for your windows while also being durable. You have multiple options with respect to louver controls, mounting (double or single) and materials to experiment with.
- Cellular shades – Cellular shades or honeycomb shades are extremely good insulators. They help in trapping the hot air that enters your home, keeping the room temperature relatively cool. They are also good options for the winter season as they can keep the warm air inside from escaping. This makes them energy efficient as they reduce the amount of work your air conditioning or heating systems have to do.
- Sheer curtains – You can use sheer curtains as way of highlighting the rest of your home and throwing the spotlight onto your interiors. They are made out translucent fabric that allow natural sunlight to seep in and illuminate the rest of your home. They give you the benefit of ventilation without having to lose out on privacy. This natural lighting can brighten up your room just enough for you to showcase the bolder parts of your décor.
If you’re looking to sell your home or give it a massive upgrade for yourself, a paint job and repairing a few leaky pipes might not be enough. A good set of blinds or drapes take things up a notch and catch any potential homebuyer’s attention. With smart home systems revolutionising everyone’s living situation, remote controlled smart blinds is worth looking into.