Bring out your personality through window coverings in your rooms. They are a great focal point of a room with hundreds of options to choose from without making it a major investment.
Finding the right treatment isn’t always an open and shut deal. Choosing the right solution that answers all your question and lends an elegant look needs some thinking. The go to solution is a window treatment. They protect your privacy, offer style and build that perfect haven you are craving for. Here we address some queries and make you answer some questions before you choose your blinds.
- Assessing your primary requirements – Before finding the right blinds for your home, you should know what you would like them to do. This can help you exclude some of your options and prefer others on your list. You can have a preference list of what your primary requirements and subsequently, the aspects of blinds you don’t really need. For example, your main concern might be privacy and it might matter to you more than blocking of sunlight or regulation of temperature. In this case, you would prefer blinds with opaque material as opposed to transparent blinds. Another instance would be if you want to completely darken the rooms by shunning out the light, blackout blinds can be your best bet. If energy efficiency and natural controlling of temperature is what you’re going for, then, cellular shades are something you can consider.
Your priorities can also change from room to room. For example, window treatments in bathroom windows need to give you privacy, while you want blackout blinds for bedrooms and dens. You would want blinds with good light control for living rooms and kitchens. You can get different types of blinds based on the room. You can either make sure the different blinds look consistent with each other or you can choose to have a different look in each room.
Now that you get the picture, decide what you want out of your blinds and take the opinions of the people who live with you. Also, there is nothing wrong with wanting the full package (privacy, light and temperature control). This will help you narrow it down your options by a lot.
- Functionality – Functionality is a key aspect of any window treatment. You want your blinds to be easy to operate and not to be heavy and clunky. Smooth operation is almost imperative. You would want to make sure that the internal mechanism of the blinds does not have any kinks that can affect the way the blinds work. You also need to make some other crucial decisions. For example, most blinds come with cords, which act as their control mechanism. Cords can be a strangulation hazard to infants and pets. If you have pets or kids, you would want to avoid blinds that come with cords altogether or at least ensure they cannot be reached by the pets or kids. Your other options include remote controlled blinds and even smart blinds that are linked to your home security system and Google Assistant, Siri or Alexa.
- Your sense of style – It is quite obvious that window treatments are not only used for practical purposes. They present the perfect opportunity for you to enhance the look of your rooms and home altogether. As with most people, homes are meant to not only be a source of shelter, but also a place for comfort, rest and also where you prepare to face the any challenges the world throws at you. Nowadays, working from home is also becoming a common phenomenon. With all these factors in mind, it becomes quite important for your window treatments, along with the rest of your home décor to have a desirable aesthetic appeal to make it a place where you love to live. It doesn’t hurt that you can make a good impression on your guests as well.
Your blinds can either match the colors of the walls or even be in stark contrast to the colors of the walls. You can go for something that is vibrant or try a subtle style that complements some other parts of the rooms that you would want to highlight. The blinds can have different patterns and designs. If the room has a theme, you can use your blinds to complement that theme.
- The type of windows you have – The type of windows you have can also go a long way in determining the type of blinds you choose to be your window covering. You need your blinds, curtains or shades to be the perfect complementary partner for your windows. Regardless of what type of blinds you are going to get, you are going to have to get the dimensions of your windows and the window frame to make sure you have the perfect fit. The type of window, or the design of the window, is also an important determinant. For example, French windows, because of their design, gives a royal, yet modern look. The perfect complement to French windows is faux wooden blinds that also match the era of the French windows. Large windows and sliding glass doors go well with vertical blinds because they cover more surface area, look symmetrical, and are less awkward to operate for larger spaces compared to conventional venetian blinds.
- Choosing the right material for your blinds – The material of the blinds is very important to why you should or shouldn’t buy certain blinds. For example, if you are looking for blinds for your kitchen and bathrooms, you need blinds that are water resistant. In this regard, PVC blinds are one of your safest bets. They are also extremely durable and will serve you for a long time. If you want a traditional look, wooden blinds are something you can consider. But they are prone to wear and tear, which is why you can go for something like faux wooden blinds, which give you the look and feel of traditional wooden blinds, while being much stronger.
You also have aluminum and steel blinds which are not only durable but can be recycled, making them extremely eco-friendly. The downside is that they can be heavy and a little difficult to operate. This is not true all the time though, it depends on the manufacturer.
Picking the right blinds is not an easy task. But with the help of the steps mentioned above, you can make the process of choosing, less time consuming, interesting and even fun. Make sure to be patient and exercise all your options before locking in on any window covering.